The knee prosthesis is the replacement of the superficial component of the joint. That which is removed is only the final part of the bone and is performed with the special masks, designed by engineers, that are applied on the bone surfaces. In this way the squares are made by cutting, only and exclusively, the damaged portion of the bone.
The final result will be to encapsulate, replacing it, the joint surface with two metal components, for what concerns the femur, which will float on a plastic component (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene), at the level of the tibia; which will cause during walking and during standing position, will touch not more bone to bone.
Reasons for knee replacement
The most common cause of chronic knee pain and reduced function is osteoarthritis. Although there are many types of arthritis, the ones that most commonly cause knee pain are: osteoarthritis chronic senile, rheumatoid arthritis and post-traumatic osteoarthritis.
- Osteoarthritis -The cartilage that cushions the bones of the knee softens and wears away. The bones then rub against one another, causing knee pain and stiffness.
- Rheumatoid arthritis -This is a disease in which the synovial membrane surrounding the joint becomes inflamed and thickened. Chronic inflammation can damage the cartilage and cause the loss, which results in pain and stiffness.
- Post-traumatic osteoarthritis -This can follow a serious knee injury. Fractures of the bones surrounding the knee or broken knee ligaments over time can damage the articular cartilage, causing pain and limiting knee function.
Benefits of knee replacement
- It makes you more able to move
- It helps in reducing knee pain
- It helps to Improve your lifestyle
For more details visit us on : www.guruhospitals.com